47284Re: My 16-year-old kitty Daphne just diagnosed with DCM

  • catmomcolumbus
    Feb 25, 2013
      I just talked to Daphne's cardiologist, and she's so wonderful.

      I asked about the ACE inhibitor, and she said Daphne's blood pressure was actually on the low end of normal when she was there, right around 80 to 85. They didn't want to make it drop any more than that, so no ACE inhibitor right now. She said some vets do still go ahead with that, but they just tend to be a little more conservative there.

      Then I asked her if I could move her medicines around a little, since two of her medicines are currently scheduled for 5 a.m. and 5 p.m. She said, "I love you for being willing to get up at 5 a.m. to give her medicine, but, no, you really don't have to do that. We get spoiled because we have vet techs here around the clock. You need to sleep." So I can move them an hour forward or back every dose until I get them where I prefer them to be. And I can coordinate them so I give them all at once. I hadn't been sure if there had to be a buffer of a few hours between the Lasix and the Vetmedin or something, but there doesn't. :-)

      She also said what you all said, that her sleepiness right now is probably just the exhaustion of being in the hospital for two days, since the lights are always on and there are dog noises and people are always messing with you. So I will try not to panic while she recovers.

      Thank you all so much for your encouragement. It's so good to hear so many stories of kitties who have beaten their prognosis. I really hope Daphne manages to, too. I scheduled her follow-up appointment with the cardiologist for next Monday, so we'll see.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic