47233Re: Kitty newly diagnosed, need some recommendations

  • elfinmyst
    Feb 20, 2013
      Hello

      I am sorry your Bengal is poorly. Is kitty a boy and girl and what is their
      name? Mild HCM can be treated with atenolol, a beta blocker, but it really
      needs a cardiologist to read the scans. Would it be possible to contact
      the cardiologist and have the scans sent over and your kitty taken into their
      care.

      Don't read the horror stories, there are many positive ones too. My Maxi,
      diagnosed mild HCM aged 12 weeks has not progressed at all in 6 years on
      atenolol. Trixi, serious HCM as a kitten, has survived 6 years despite a few
      months to live prognosis. Its far easier to treat a kitty in mild HCM than
      heart failure.

      Time to learn breath counts. Wait until kitty is asleep, not dreamy. Count
      over 15 secs and times by 4. Find what is normal and recognise the pattern.
      Then you can notice quickly if his rate starts to increase or breathing
      changes. Over 30 is concern, over 40 emergency. But most important is a
      change from what is normal.

      I give Coenzyme Q 30mg to all my heart cats and all are doing very well.
      Vetriscience cardiostrength is a good option in the States. But once you
      start CoQ you can't stop suddenly. Mine have taken it 6 years.