      From: lisah2343
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:10 PM
      Subject: [FH] My Jack

      I just found this group and wanted to share a little as well as get some feedback. My sweet boy, Jack, was diagnosed with HCM at the age of 7 months. At the time of diagnosis, the cardiologist said that he probably wouldn't live past 3. He did caution me that cats are resilient and are always ready to surprise! Well, Jack is 9 years old and has had no clinical symptoms until this past November. He has been such a love and a big one at that! He has been in the 26-28 pound range for several years. I limit him to about half a cup of food each day, so I guess genetics played a big role in his size. I am always measuring his breathing rate and started noticing that it was going up. I took him to the vet and was told that he was in the beginning stages of congestive heart failure. While I knew that I was lucky to have had a healthy boy for so long, I was devastated that we were finally going down this path. Since then, his furosemide dose has been increased to about 1 9mg daily and his breathing rate is back to 28-32 bpm. He seems to be back to his normal self but is having some issues with constipation and isn't eating as much. He still loves his treats and drinks plenty of water. He doesn't care for pumpkin, so the vet told me to try some Metamucil on his food. I started that yesterday and also diluted about 1/2 tsp of Metamucil and gave to him via syringe. I was wondering how long it might take to work. I think he has been eating a bit more today so I haven't given him any Metamucil by syringe.

      This most recent diagnosis is still so new and I find myself constantly worrying, checking his breathing rate and just wishing he didn't have to go through this. I am so sad and he is back to normal! It is my hope to deal with all of this and enjoy him for as long as I have him...maybe even years.

      Does anyone have any experience with the constipation issues and some info on how long it takes the Metamucil to start working?