46636Re: [FH] Help!-Newbie with HCM, CRF and diabetic cat-won't eat

  • Mosaic.artist@yahoo.com
    Dec 12, 2012
      Dee,

      Sorry for this. Our oets are so precious and with multiple issues, it is cplicated.

      My 19 yr cat has CKD and HCM. I have been giving him about 1/2 cup of water with his food per day as sub-q could be taxing on the heart. This has kept him going for 2 years after his kidney diagnosis.

      A cat had to eat every day about half of his calorie needs. A cat can get very ill if it doesn't eat. You may need to assist feed him. There is a good yahoo group for cats that can help. Try warming his food, giving it on your finger or spoon. These helped my cat.

      Do keep track of his rate of respiration when he is sleeping or resting. This will give you an idea if his heart is worsening. Every cat is different, but my cat's is between 16-20. When he had congestive heart failure, his rate was 40+.

      I would try stringing water into his mouth for additional fluids before sub-q. IF you try fluids, use the most conservative recommendation for fluids. Then check his respiration after to see if it increases.

      Hugs,

      Lynn