46504Re: [FH] Transdermal amlodipine

  • Carol
    Nov 27, 2012
      I wouldn't use a transdermal version for something as important as amlodipine. Our experience with the transdermals, is that they are not absorbed very well and don't work as well. We used them with our angel Snowball with her Tapazole and one of her heart meds, and they didn't work well. If you use transdermals, you must make sure the skin is completely cleaned prior to each application and that the cream is massaged in for at least 60 seconds. Even though we did those things, Snowball's thyroid was never controlled with the transdermal cream and it's very doubtful if she even absorbed her heart med.

      Our Misty, who is now 21 1/2 years old, was horrible to pill in the beginning, but over time she has become completely compliant with pilling. We put the pills in a little "meatball" of cold canned food, and pill her with that... stick the pill/meatball to my finger and push it back on the side of her mouth as far as I can get it, and she just eats it... mostly swallows it, seldom chews to find the pill hidden inside.

      I'd keep trying to pill Fozzy. If it absolutely doesn't work, then I would use the compounded liquid and just put it in a very small amount of either canned food or baby food meat (we use Beechnut Stage 1), so you can be sure he eats it all.

      best of luck... I know how hard it is to get pills into them when they don't like it!

      Carol, Misty and the gang