46493Transdermal amlodipine

  • gustysg1974
    Nov 26, 2012
      Hello,
      My 16 1/2 year old kitty Fozzy was just diagnosed with high blood pressure. She had radioactive iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism in July, and when we went for a check up last week, her BP was 180 (usually is around 160 at the vet's as she is very timid). He wanted to recheck after the holiday, and when we went in Saturday, it was up to 200. He wants me to start her on .625 mg of amlodipine 1x day, but she is very difficult to pill. They did give me some chicken flavor compounded pills to try, and she doesn't seem to mind them mixed with a tiny bit of food, but she will not eat the full amount and she will not eat them like treats (she doesn't actually like any cat treats). I'm wondering if anyone here has used the transdermal version, and if so, have you had any luck with it? I have read mixed reviews of whether or not enough is absorbed to really reduce BP. Thanks in advance.

      Shannon & Fozzy
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic