      From: nbilouzenko <nbilouzenko@...>
      Subject: [FH] Cat with severe HCM and Asthma in CHF
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, November 22, 2012, 9:51 PM

      This past Thursday my beloved baby kitty who is only 4 years old had a seizure. I immediately drove to my vet and they did blood work, xrays, and checked his blood pressure. They tell me he has fluid in his lungs and that his heart looks enlarged. They start him on furosemide (.5ml 2x a day) and half of a benazepril every day and recommended us to a cardiologist for an ultrasound of his heart. He had been having very minor "episodes" until yesterday when he had the most frightening and heart breaking seizure. We made an emergency appointment with the cardiologist and visited him this morning. He tells us that my poor baby has severe HCM, asthma and is in CHF. His breathing has been laboured since the first episode but he has not started coughing or open mouthed breathing yet and he is also still eating quite frequently (only wet food) and going to the bathroom on a regular basis. They say he most likely has only 4-6 months left with us. It is so
      hard to watch him be so sick and it is breaking my heart beyond repair. Does anyone know of anything I can do to make him more comfortable? His rapid breathing really terrifies me. Open windows? I purchased a humidifier for our bedroom hoping it would help him breathe better at night. Somebody please help me! And if anyone is going through the same situation please share your stories. I'm trying to fill my brain with all the information I can.

      My husband and I have been up all night researching what else we can do that might help. I've read that giving him COQ10, L'Carnitine, and fish oil supplements are very beneficial for a cat with his condition. Went to the health food store and picked some up today. I emptied a capsule of the L'Carnitine in his wet food and also wrapped a 50mg COQ10 capsule in some of his food and he gobbled it up, tried giving him the fish oil but he hated it because it smells like orange. I might have to give it to him in a baby syringe. I called the cardiologist that we had visited yesterday before I gave these to him and asked if he thought it might help? He told me it has not been proven but it is worth a shot and that it can't hurt him. He did mention that if he starts having diarrhea then to stop the L'Carnitine for 2 days. Hopefully this will help my baby stay with us longer. I can't lose him! Does anyone know what the best way to give it to him would be? and how
      much I should really be giving him daily?