45979Re: [FH] counting beats per 15 seconds, i am only getting 15~18, that would

  • Jim Sinclair
    Oct 2, 2012
      On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Carol <carolroar@...> wrote:

      > So to clarify for everyone... when you're counting BREATHS per minute,
      > which is the respiration, that should be from about 16 to about 28 or 32
      > BREATHS per minute (4 to 7 or 8 BREATHS in 15 seconds).
      >
      > When you're counting HEART BEATS, which is the heart rate, that should be
      > from about 120 to 140 BEATS per minute (30 to 35 BEATS in 15 seconds).

      You should also count this when the cat is calm and relaxed.

      I took a cat to the vet last week. I was worried about him and wanted
      him to be checked that day, and our regular vet's office was
      completely booked all day plus backlogged because of an emergency
      surgery, so I took him to a Banfield clinic as a walk-in. They took
      his temperature first, which he absolutely HATES and fought against
      fiercely. Then, after he was highly agitated from getting his
      temperature taken, they counted his respiration and heart rate and got
      44 breaths and 220 beats per minute. And they told me this was normal!
      Kinda lost some credibility with me right then and there. When I got
      the cat home and after he was calm, I counted and got 28 breaths and
      120 beats per minute. If the Banfield people think 44 and 220 is
      normal, they must routinely be riling up their feline patients before
      taking vitals!

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
      www.jimsinclair.org
      http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com