44828Re: Lasix

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Apr 7, 2012
      Hi Lynda

      Lasix is a diuretic and a very safe drug in the small quantities you would
      use in an emergency (5 mg or 10mg) . Trixi at her worst had 30mg a day, so
      a single dose would be well within safe limits. The only contraindication
      is kidney disease and then large quantities of lasix could make it worse if
      given over a period of time, but I use it as a single dose with all my cats
      if needed. It can be given every 8 hours and should bring the breathing
      rate down quite quickly.

      The odd dose wouldn't do any harm and could do a lot of good to keep a cat
      comfortable until you get to the vet. If the lasix doesn't work at 10mg and
      breathing is still fast and uncomfortable then it's time for the emergency
      vet.