      From: Vicky <zhrbjn@...>
      Cc: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:57 PM
      Subject: [FH] Re: Your Cat's Nutritional Needs

      The guide is copyright 2006 and seems very outdated. While some of the
      charts may be accurate, I seriously question many of the conclusions
      it makes about what to feed cats. When a scientific publication states
      that the cat has a short intestine, yet  can't conclude that
      carbohydrates and fiber are bad, I would not recommend any of their
      guidelines. They even mention the false assumption that fiber helps
      control blood glucose. Fiber in the form of grains or plant products
      contribute to hyperglycemia by adding carbohydrates. The pamphlet even
      says, "Because cats are carnivores, the short length of their long
      intestines limits their ability to ferment fibers that are found in
      many carbohydrates."
      So why even suggest that cats need carbohydrates and fiber???

      If anyone wants to learn what to appropriately feed cats, please go to
      catinfo.org. Written and maintained by a licensed veterinarian with
      decades of feline experince, Dr. Pierson explains in a no nonsense
      fashion why cats need to eat meat or at least good quality canned
      food. The examples she gives from her own experiences are helpful
      explanations. Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins also wrote a very good book
      called "Your Cat." There are several other vets online, Dr. Hofke is
      one, Dr. Zoran is another, who repeat over and over again that cats
      are obligate carnivores, which means they should eat meat only.

      After feeding Hill's Science Diet "Hairball Control" to my magnificent
      Nebelung kitty Gandalf for several years, he became diabetic. I
      learned a lot about what is best for cats because of that horrible
      disease, and I hope to help others avoid the heartbreak.