44440Re: [FH] Re: New Member--need input about possible heart issues

  • Shelleee12@aol.com
    Mar 5 3:22 PM
      I agree with you Henna!

      After losing one 6 year old cat just a month prior due to a sudden
      clot...(unknown and undiagnosed HCM) I was woken up in the middle of the night by
      his brother doing a kind of hairball cough..just for a moment.....but not
      from hairballs....sounded like he was trying to cough up mucous. I took
      him first thing in the morning to see my vet. My vet said that cats don't
      cough from heart disease.....and he looked and sounded fine otherwise. To be
      safe and to ease my mind, he did a chest xray to make sure he didn't have
      a bronchial type issue. He could see, immediately, that my boy had a
      serious heart issue and said the coughing I heard was fluid. I was sent to a
      Cardiologist who was surprised that I took him to my vet as, outwardly, other
      than that cough, he showed no signs of illness. He said it's a silent
      killer. Though he had the best care and proper meds, I lost him within three
      months of losing his brother.

      So, I HAVE to agree with Henna, though they say that cats don't cough from
      heart disease...they CAN cough from the fluid in their lungs caused by
      heart issues....

      Shelly

      In a message dated 3/5/2012 1:48:45 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      leowempu@... writes:

      My beloved Leo had a cough (that took place in the middle of the night).
      The vets he first saw apparently thought that heart disease is not associated
      with coughing since they diagnosed him with asthma. And that almost cost
      him his life right then.

      Cats with pulmonary edema can have a moist cough (in my experience).

      Henna & Angel Leo