44357Re: New to group

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Feb 26, 2012
      Hi Cheryl

      A heart murmur can mean many things. It can be entirely innocent and due to
      a 'flappy valve' as it is in several of my cats who showed no HCM at all
      on echo. Or it can mean HCM which is a very serious disease. A heart murmu
      may also be due to stress at the vets like my Toby has and it was shown on
      echo to be the amount of blood pushing the valve when he got stressed.

      If hyperthyroid isnt under control, then it can cause secondary HCM. So it
      is vital the thyroid levels are normal. The only way to tell if Cheshire
      has heart disease is to have the echocardiogram. I would get it done as soon
      as possible now she has her thyroid treated. You need to watch for her
      breathing rate, anything over 30 a minute is a cause for alarm. Any changes to
      her usual rate and type of breathing are as well. If she has heart disease
      there are drugs she can take to help her.

      I wouldn't have the teeth done until after the ultrasound unless it is
      absolutely vital. She may need special care with an anaesthetic if she has
      heart disease.