44176At the crossroads, need advice

  • DH
    Feb 3, 2012
      Dear group,
      My Peanut was diagnosed with kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, and hypertension 4 years ago. She is now 19-years-old, and was getting sub-q fluids every other day (in addition to her methimazole, amolodipine, phosphorus binder and more).

      Six days ago, she was put on Lasix, 12.5 mg BID, due to pleural and abdominal fluid build up. At that time, judging by xrays, the doc said the fluid was not in her lungs, but there is obviously some heart condition at play. Her BUN and Creatinine were high at that time (BUN 85, Creatinine 5.8), but I had stopped her sub-q's four days previously, suspecting fluid build-up. Her temperature was sub-normal at 98-something.

      Today, after restarting sub-q's six days ago(now 100 ml on a daily basis) and adding the Lasix, her pleural effusion is worse, and the doc says he now sees fluid in the lungs. Her temperature has dropped to 96-something. He rechecked her kidney values (BUN 68 and Creatinine 5.6)and does not feel there would be any benefit in doing a thoracocentesis to remove fluids or putting her on enalapril for her heart, based on the kidneys and low body temp. He says these are signs of the body shutting down, and recommends euthanasia.

      Unfortunately, the only feline cardiologist is 4 hours away.

      I don't want to put her through unnecessary and/or painful procedures if there is no hope, but how do I know? Is it worth the risk and cost of draining the fluids to give her a chance to 'start over' with the enalapril? If I lower her LRS or stop them completely in order to help her body 'dry out', is there a chance she can recover from likely higher kidney numbers? At 19 years of age, should I just say "it's time" and give up? Her heart may be failing, but mine is breaking.

      Please, any advice or suggestions are needed.

      Diane and Peanut
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic