43961Re: [FH] Possible connection - Heart Disease , Inflammation and Food Allergy

  • acrocat@rocketmail.com
    Jan 1, 2012
      I wonder if I have something wrong in my settings because some people's posts come up with a weird "A" scattered throughout ...

      Anyway ...

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Patti Thomas <tpatti54@...> wrote:
      > The problem with trying to gain sufficient protein for obligate carnivores, from a vegetable source, is that vegetables are an incomplete protein.  Meat has all of the essential amino acids to make a complete protein.  Twenty two, I believe.

      Meat varies in amino acid content, actually. Some animal meat has more taurine or less taurine, for example, and may or may not have XYZ amino acid in sufficient quantity or at all. (Eggs are supposed to be the most complete protein source IIRC). I have not seen a cat food that contains only corn as a source of protein anyway -- it is used in combo with other proteins, and is usually in cat foods as an adjunct protein and a source of EFAs.

      >  Vegetables have only one or two of the essential amino acids.

      Vegetables with usable protein (like corn) have more than two amino acids. I think corn has maybe 8 or so? But it doesn't have all of the necessary-for-life amino acids for cats, that's why it's used in combo with other sources.

      >  Starches have no place in a cats diet.  Those are the culprits in cat diabetes and obesity.

      I agree that high carb diets make some cats fat and some cats diabetic; I really blame dry food in general. It's very annoying (and rather silly) that so many of these expensive "grain free" dry foods are made instead with simple sugar starches, potatoes and tapioca. I think cats do best on a wet diet that is high-protein too.

      > Most all of the documentation of food allergies in animals is done by pet food companines.

      What does this mean? That it's not valid? I see an awful lot of snark on the internet and on message boards about studies funded by the pet food companies, which I guess is supposed to mean that the researchers accepting this money are corrupt and lacking in academic integrity; that they skew the results as they are told to; and that the peer reviewers and medical journal publishers also turn a blind eye to rampant faking of results -?

      Regardless, in this particular case pet food companies are exactly who would be most interested in pinpointing which protein sources are most allergenic ... If they sell a food for allergies that doesn't work, people will find out very quickly. Testing like this is unlikely to be in a lab anyway, it would be done with owned cats through a study. The paper citing beef, dairy, fish as the 3 most common allergens in cats is from Belgian researchers, FWIW.

      Also, based on the previous argument on protein being more complete and complex, it makes sense that animal proteins would be the most allergenic. It doesn't mean that animal proteins are inappropriate or bad, and there are certainly many different types to choose from.

      Again I'll mention that I feed a high-protein, meat based wet diet for my own cats, and don't have anything invested in pet food companies or the corn industry. This is just sharing information.

      Adriann
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic