      From: "acrocat@..." <acrocat@...>
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, January 1, 2012 12:53 PM
      Subject: Re: [FH] Possible connection - Heart Disease , Inflammation and Food Allergy

      On a bit of a tangent ...

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Patti Thomas <tpatti54@...> wrote:
      > Most all commercial pet foods contain fillers such as corn, wheat, oats, and other grains, which have little to no protein or nutritional value.

      I think that cats, as obligate carnivores, should have a meat-based diet. However they can and do digest and gain nutrition from grains and starches, it's a common myth that these don't contain protein and that cats somehow can't access its nutrients. Many foods contain corn as a cheap protein source, not as a filler.

      BTW, the two most commonly documented food allergens in cats are beef and dairy (the third is the protein of some type of plant, can't remember if it's wheat? corn?). Go figure.

      Adriann