43809Re: is this the start of chf?

  • joanne marbut
    Dec 7, 2011
      Lasix can tax the kidneys and extra doses between scheduled meds shouldn't be given. So, unless the vet says it's o.k. to give an extra dose, I wouldn't.  It's normal for cats breathing to rapidly rise and fall even when still. It's the duration of time that matters-if the cat continues for five minutes then there may be a problem; if it subsides after a couple then it's normal. Heat, dreams, play, eating-they can all make a cat breathe fast. Cats are naturally apprehensive/anxious/ready to run creatures and when very alert, may also breathe fast.  If your cat was having an episode, then the ER/vet would be the first place to go because the cat might need IV lasix and oxygen to halt the progression of CHF.  If you have another cat who isn't sick or can watch someone else's normal cat, you'll see the breathing fluctuates.  It's only because you are aware now of your cat because of the disease that you are noticing every little change. But that's also
      good. You'll know how the cat is reacting to the disease, to the meds, to situations and will notice the day to day changes in the cat.  My cat, when beginning a CHF episode-of which she's had two since initially sick two years ago-became anxious, needed a lot of attention and petting, and then I noticed her chest didn't subside after a few minutes. One episode she seemed to have a glazed over look and couldn't seem to move about well and collapsed. Signs of pain, anxiety, heavy breathing, glazed looks, inability to register their surroundings, and inability to move or a collapse are possible signs to look for in your cat.