43149Claude not doing so well

  • mainecoonkatze
    Sep 1, 2011
      Hi all,

      I'm a longtime lurker and infrequent poster -- *touch wood* things have been okay more or less catwise the past couple of years. Up to now anyways. This is a long post, so if you wanna jump to the part where I ask questions, then that's at the very end.

      The back story. I lost my non-pedigree but Maine Coon-looking Topsy in early November 2001 from a combination of kidney & heart disease. She was just under 18 years old - would have been 18 on the 27th Nov. Swore I was never going to get another cat.

      But in 2002 a neighbour was given two cats as unwanted pets, a boy and a girl, as it turns out both NOT desexed. The girl cat fled and started living under our house, eating the scraps we put out for the birds. We took her in (didn't know she wasn't desexed) and fed her left over food from when Topsy was still with us, and in less than a month Kitty fattened up and gave birth to four beautiful kittens - Buttons, Patch, Claude & Tuppenny, on Sep 1st 2002.

      We took them all to the vet to be desexed before looking for homes for them, and learned that all the babies had murmurs. So we kept them (desexed), knowing that we couldn't find homes for them and at the shelter, they'd be PTS.

      Buttons lived to be 3 before she threw a saddle thrombosis. Patch was 5 when he threw his. I learned from this group and from their experiences the wonders of Nattokinase, which Claude & Tuppenny take.

      With the Nattokinase, Claude lived long enough to go into CHF two years ago at the age of 7. For 18 months he was stable on 2.5mg Fortekor tablet once daily, 0.5ml Flusapex drops twice daily, and half a Doctor's Best Nattokinase capsule daily.

      2011 has been a bad year. Claude's Fortekor and Nattokinase dosages are unchanged, but we had to up his Flusapex to 0.75ml twice daily around March. But I don't think that's enough any more.

      His resting respirations are 40/minute, and more than the rate, it's the effort he's putting into breathing, though he's not mouth breathing. It fluctuates a bit - when I started writing this post it was 40/min with effort, then the booster dose of 0.25ml Flusapex kicked in and it dropped to 32/min with no effort. Now I'm adding this line at the end of writing and it's back to 40/min with effort but lying on his side, not his front. Normally it'd be a no-brainer ... he needs a vet. But he was only just at the vet 2 months ago, they increased his Flusapex to 2x0.85ml, which terrifies me as to what it'll do to his kidneys, and while the vet says that's not such a huge dose, my gut says otherwise. And this has been SUCH a bad month personally!

      My mum went in for major surgery at the start of the month (cancer) and is home recovering - I'm her carer. While she was in hospital, my dad passed away unexpectedly, his funeral was two weeks ago. Things have turned nasty with the executor. And the house next door is being bulldozed with great big heavy noisy stinky scary yellow machinery. It's a very stressful home environment, which none of us needs right now.

      Claude's still enjoying his meals and his life, but I'm so worried about the massive Flusapex doses. Are there any alternatives to Flusapex? Are drops better/worse/no different to tablets for the effect on the kidneys? Is 2x0.85ml a massive dose? Is it better administered as 4 smaller doses every 6 hours?

      Thanks!

      Catie, Kitty, Claude & Tuppenny
      Topsy-Angel, Buttons-Angel, Patch-Angel
      http://www.catster.com/cats/242310