42886Re: Elevated ALT

  • s.theye
    Jul 29 1:30 PM
      Hi Adriann,

      thanks so much for your in-depth reply!

      We did do a T4 test, just the basic one I think.
      It came back @ 2.5 I believe. Vet says that's normal.
      I do think he has some symptoms, though no weight loss, but I
      have always wondered if he was borderline hyperthyroid if there
      is such a thing.

      I'll have to call and check on the GGTP value.

      I have been going back and forth on whether to keep his appt. for ultrasound
      on Monday, or instead, maybe do a liver panel first. I think I can just do that vs.
      entire blood panel.

      My vet says that any elevation in ALT in a cat is suspicious.
      She worries about possible bacterial infection, etc.

      I believe everything but the ALT was normal in his blood work but I will
      ask about the GGTP.

      He will be the first ultrasound appt. of the day, if I keep appt. :-) and I did push to be in the room with him after reading someone on this groups mention of being pushy about that and they agreed!
      So thanks to that person!

      I am just not wanting to put him through unnecessary stress due to heart.
      I think ultrasound would entail more stress than just drawing blood for repeat blood work, though it's only been a month.

      Shelley

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "acrocat@..." <acrocat@...> wrote:

      > Hi there
      >
      > I agree with the other poster to check his T4, if he's over the age of 6 and you haven't checked it within the past three months.
      >
      > ALT is the one value in a bloodtest which actually indicates liver problems. ALT is released when liver cells are broken up, so it means that there was some insult to the liver. Now this can be for many reasons, most of them innocuous and unknown, and in the scheme of things his ALT is not very elevated. An animal with serious liver damage may have an ALT in the thousands!
      >
      > Do you have a copy of the blood test? Does it have a "GGTP" on it, and is that value normal?
      >
      > As for further testing, you have a few options. YOu can ask your vet about submitting a urine bile acids test. Bile acids is a means of testing how well the liver is functioning. I don't think, with just an ALT of 200, that there is any reason to think the liver is not working well, but it's a test that you can do by collecting urine at home and submitting it. If the liver function is good, it's easier to postpone a workup. Bile acids has normally only been tested in blood, but more recently people are trying the urine test and it seems to be correlating well with blood results. It is not as 'trusted' as the blood test and may not be for several more years as people get used to it.
      >
      > You could also have the ultrasound done. You can discuss giving your cat some sedation at home before you go -- a little bit of Xanax or a similar drug to make him less anxious (probably won't be too sedating, just will make him more mellow). You can also arrange to have him be the first appointment of the day, so there is no waiting, and you can wait in the car and ask them to call you when they are ready so he's really only apart from you for 15 minutes or so. That would help.
      >
      > I'll warn you that they may find cysts on his liver (hepatic cystadenoma), if he's an older cat. A lot of cats get these benign liver cysts when they get older and it's not clear why. They only cause trouble if they are big and press on the stomach or something, which is rare. I would not be concerned if my own cat was diagnosed with a cystadenoma since, while they aren't normal, they aren't big news either.
      >
      > Hope this helps. Keep us posted.
      >
      > Adriann

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic