42884Re: Elevated ALT

  • Lily
    Jul 29, 2011
      Hi Shelley,

      My 15.5 year old cat Jeremy was diagnosed as CRF & CHM Thanksgiving weekend 2010. His abdominal ultrasound showed no real areas of concern, othr than a small lightly more active spot on his liver. His Thyroid profile values were nicely normal.

      Jeremy was put on Enalapril and Atenolol at first, and his liver enzymes did go up without his BP going down enough. So they switched him to Amlodipine, which lowered his BP to our target level.

      My vet also suggested trying Denamarin, which is composed of the liver healing components of Milk Thistle, and his liver enzymes dropped to a comfortable level when they were checked 4 weeks later.

      I could tell within a few days that the Denamarin was helping because of the way he was suddenly bouncing around, still thin, but more like his old, feeling well self. Denamarin can be bought through your vet, or if you have approval to use, through Amazon Marketplace.

      I highly recommend asking your vet about the Denamarin.

      Lillian and Jeremy (CRF/CHM)

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "s.theye" <veery@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I was hoping to get some opinions. Have any of your heart kitties had elevated liver enzymes show up during routine blood work?
      > At my HCM kitty Jack's yearly echo this past June, they did blood work, and his ALT was 240. I think the normal upper range is 100. We repeated blood work at his regular vet's 3 weeks later and it had dropped to @ 200 I think, but still above upper normal.
      > Jack's vet would like him to have an abdominal ultrasound, which I worry about mainly because of the stress factor. She said it could be nothing or it could be something, so I am not sure whether to put him through the stress of a possible unnecessary procedure, or just wait and see if it goes back to normal in a few months.
      > Anyone have any experience with this? Jack hates car rides and I think with abdominal ultrasound he would have to be on his back....
      > Thanks!
      > Shelley
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic