      Casa Obelisco
      Top 10 Most Romantic Bed and Breakfast's Worldwide
      ForbesTraveller.com, Feb. 2009
      #1 Most Romantic International B & B 2010: Pamel Lanier

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: denise.ross@...
      Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 03:16:02 +0000
      Subject: [FH] Rudy is failing

      We haven't posted in a long time, Rudy has had a good 3 years since being diagnosed with HCM. But the last couple of weeks have been awful, in addition to being diagnosed with an enlarged liver. Rudy is 19 1/2 years old. We choose not to do the ultrasound and biopsy. But we have also noticed his breathing has gotten worse over the last couple of weeks. Internal Med doc said x-rays show some fluid in the chest cavity and some in the lungs but not a lot. Today we woke up to chest heaving and open mouth breating. Off we go to emergency. They saw the same, some in the chest cavity (not enough to tap) and some in the lungs. I had given him a full furosemide table before we left home and they gave him a lasix injection before we came back home. He has peed a lot and is breathing better but still not normal. The radiologiy said this is a result of further heart failure.

      They asked me to increase his furosemide from 1/2 tablet in the morning to 3/4 tablet and for the evening to increase it from 3/4 tablet to a full tablet. He also gets 1/4 tablet of spiro in the morning and again at night.

      The emergency vet said that the furosemide would work within the first 15 minutes of being given and that was it...is that correct? Does anyone think this new dose is enough? What can I expect? I know he doesn't have long but I would like to make his remaining time good and not feeling awful not being able to breath. I am upset over this I don't know what to do.

      Any advice or words of encouragement (or words of honesty) would sure be apprciated.

      Thank you all so much.

      Denise & "Rudy"