42102Re: New to group/Shania and Kitty

  • shania7435
    Apr 29, 2011
      see below your post for mine

      Shania
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "acrocat@..." <acrocat@...> wrote:

      > Hi Shania
      >
      > In answer to your question, a benign heart murmur is one that occurs in the absence of disease. In dogs, a heart murmur almost always means they have heart disease. In cats, a heart murmur can be benign or is associated with heart disease. You can't tell without an echocardiogram, unfortunately, except in certain cases (very loud murmurs are unlikely to be benign, for example, and one type of congenital condition causes a distinctive type of murmur).
      >
      > Do you have a copy of your echo report?
      >
      > BTW, when you reply, it replies to my email rather than the list. You have to choose the list to reply-to from the drop down, if you are looking at the list online.
      > Adrianna

      This is how Kitty's visit went today at Cornell University. The vet did an
      electrocardiogram which revealed no abnormalities. He also tested her thyroid
      function. I will have the results of that tomorrow. The echo demonstrated
      thickening of her left ventricle. Her blood pressure was elevated. He wants to
      wait until the thyroid test comes back before deciding how to proceed. Her
      ventricular hypertrophy could be from primary hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or
      from hyperthyroidism. Although her blood pressure is elevated they would like to
      know her thyroid function before they begin medication,as hyperthyroidism may
      contribute to hypertension. They recommend having Kitty's blood pressure taken
      again in 5-7 days as her bp elevation may have been partially due to the stress
      of the exam.

      Echocardiogram interpretation: overall "stiff" appearance to the heart,LV
      papillary muscles prominent,no evidence of intracardiac thrombosis,decreased E
      to A transmittal ratio,mildly increased IVRT

      Overall assessment of cardiac status: Evidence of mid left ventricular pressure
      gradient(approx 28 mmHg gradient),mild systemic hypertension,and at least mild
      LV diastolic dysfunction. Palpable thyroid raises the possibility of
      hyperthyroidism,which may be contributing to hypertension. LV changes may be
      secondary to hyperthyroidism/hypertension or may be primary HCM. Recommend
      withhold anesthesia and await T4 prior to making thereapeutic recommendations.
      Repeat BP in 5-7 days prior to making decisions regarding potential amlodipine
      therapy.

      Prognosis:Guarded pending follow up.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic