41873Re: Heart and Kidney issues- Prayers are appreciated

  • LorieAHuston@cs.com
    Apr 1 8:54 AM
      Hi Amy (and Mez).

      You both have my thoughts and prayers behind you!

      Amy, I would definitely consider a potassium supplement to increase the blood potassium level if it is very low. Giving fluids to these cats with kidney and heart issues can be tricky and really is a delicate balancing act. Often, fluids are given along with a low-dose of a diuretic (like Lasix/furosemide). But this is something that is disputed even between veterinarians. If fluids are given, low volumes given more frequently may be helpful. For instance, if you're giving subcut. fluids, cut the total fluid dose (calculated for a cat with kidney disease but no heart disease) by 25-50% and divide it up into two doses rather than one.

      I would also make sure Mez' blood pressure is being monitored. Hyper or hypo-tension can both cause further issues with both the heart and kidneys.

      Are you seeing a cardiologist with Mez? If not, you might want to consider doing so. Often, they have a bit more experience dealing with these types of problems than a general practitioner.

      Good luck with Mez. I hope he feels better soon.

      Lorie Huston, DVM
      Pet Health Care Gazette (www.pet-health-care-gazette.com)