41748Re: [FH] How to give nattokinase?

  • C.R.
    Mar 11, 2011
      hi Jim,

      The 2000 FU refers to fibrinolytic units of the nattokinase enzyme. The Nutricology brand has 1440 FU and their label says it equals 72 mg per capsule. Their 2000 FU says it equals 100 mg per capsules, so I think it's safe to say that the Doctor's Best 2000 FU is also 100 mg each.

      I used to give our angel Chris half a cap twice a day.

      Does Willow have hyperthyroid? The being skinny and crummy fur can be hyperthyroid stuff. Our angel Snowball was that way. She had no appetite and kept losing weight and her fur got all greasy looking. Hyperthyroid cats don't always present with a voracious appetite, which is what many have. They keep eating and still lose weight. Some hyperT cats don't have an appetite, because they get nauseated from being hyperthyroid.

      If he's not hyperthyroid, then there may be some pancreatitis going on possibly? The only reason I say that, is because the things you describe sound a lot like how Snowball was and she also had pancreatitis along with all her other problems.

      Putting on weight is really hard to do when they get in that mode of losing. Our Misty, who will be 20 in May and has heart, kidney, pancreatitis, hyperthyroid, hypertension, and she wasn't eating well and losing weight, looked awful. The vet said she had really bad teeth, so we got her teeth cleaned... bit the bullet and took the chance that it'd be okay for her, and the vet found an abscessed tooth and once that was gone, she felt so much better. We switched her to raw and she's eating like a pig and gaining weight and getting her muscle back in her hind end. We buy this frozen stuff called Rad Cat and another one called Primal. It's really been amazing how much better she feels now that those bad teeth are gone. She's gained 12 ounces in the past two months!

      Carol and Angel Snowball
      and the gang

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sinclair <jisincla@...> wrote:

      > How much do you give? The file from this group says 50 to 72 mg/day,
      > but the Doctor's Best label says each capsule contains 2000 FU. How
      > does that translate?
      >

      > I've been using Prozyme, but Willow (Clipsy's brother) is still a bag of bones. Tried various probiotics including one with FOS, yogurt,
      > smaller more frequent meals, along with the metronidazole and Pepcid
      > and Reglan from the vet, and at least he has his appetite back and
      > isn't vomiting up everything he eats anymore. But he's not putting
      > back on the weight he lost, and his fur is dull, and he just isn't
      > looking good. :-(
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic