      From: Carol <czyonov@...>
      Subject: [FH] Re: Tino passed away this morning
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 10:25 AM

      Wendy, I am so very sorry for your loss of Tino and do appreciate the excruciating pain you are feeling now.

      We lost our Tootsie just over a year ago under similar circumstances. It was the morning of January 1, what a sad way to start the new year. I had given her her morning meds and then gone upstairs to get dressed but had to come back down for something. As always, I checked on her whenever I'd been apart from her for even a minute. She was in the same place I'd left her - under the end table in her bed, but she was stretched out with her mouth wide open and eyes wide trying to breathe. I remember that she was salivating and I thought she was trying to vomit but was perhaps choking. I quickly got her out from there and tried to get her in a sitting position - she started breathing again so I layed her down on the floor and ran to get my husband who was in the shower as he/she had such a special bond. We quickly dressed and ran her to the emergency center. She was in excruciating pain, to even touch her caused her such great pain.

      At the ER, her body temp was down to almost 95 I believe and they said she was bloated - don't know why. Tootsie's health problems were (given in order of discovery): crf, multiple stones in her kidneys, one ureter, and her bladder, bone spurs in many places which made it impossible for her to walk at times and caused great pain which we tried to control but were not always successful in keeping her slightly comfortable, extremely high blood pressure which was controlled, severe heart arrhythmia. They offered to do xrays to try to figure the bloating but said that it seemed her systems were shutting down. Her last year her body had caused her such great pain there had been times if I'd wondered if she really wanted to continue but just couldn't bring myself to suggest it.

      Whether she'd thrown multiple clots or perhaps suffered ureteral blockage (Dr. Chew, at OSU, had said she was a miracle that she'd not done that years ago) I guess we'll never know. I don't think I'd ever have been able to make the decision to help her on her way to the bridge without there being some major event - and this was it. Perhaps it was her gift to me to make that decision easier for me to reach.

      Take care and may his memory be eternal.

      carol and mellie