      From: elfinmyst@... <elfinmyst@...>
      Subject: Re: [FH] Re: Punky - only HCM?
      To: anagtz@...
      Cc: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, December 10, 2010, 3:01 PM

      Hi Ana

      Punky is absolutely beautiful.! He's going to be huge when he grows into
      those ears.He looks semi longhair and a pedigree cross possibly?

      If he has had an ultrasound, you can ask that to be forwarded to the new
      cardiologist. Was it a cardiologist who did the initial ultrasound? You need
      a definite diagnosis. HCM in a kitten is usually genetic and advances
      quickly so I would have thought he would need some medication as Trixi and Maxi
      and Milli had. Unless it's mild, then they may monitor him with repeat
      ultrasounds to see if it progresses.

      The achondroplasia is likely an inherited defect and makes pituitary
      dwarfism unlikely. It would have affected his back legs as well and his body
      looks normal for a 4 month kitten. As for the neutering, well that's always a
      risk of course. Milli and Trixi and Maxi were all neutered and came through.
      There are some anaesthetics which are safer but I would take the
      cardiologists advice.

      Undescended testicles can lead to a tumour in later life so they do like to
      remove them. Also you would have a full male cat capable of mating and
      spraying. But he's only 4 months, you can give him time to settle yet. Every
      operation is a risk with a heart kitty, but that would be entirely your
      choice. We had Trixi neutered when we had no choice because she had an tooth
      abcess. She sailed through it. Milli had a bad time and suffered a fit under
      the anaesthetic, she also had a tumor removed at the same time. But she
      recovered. Maxi had no issues at all and neither did any of the other heart
      cats.

      Except Molly who was allergic to catgut!

      Hope that helps. I`m glad you're seeing a cardiologist. You love Punky
      every day. Only special people are chosen by heart kitties:)

      Love Lyn