40043Re:Breeders Perspective

  • melaniejanie
    Aug 26, 2010
      Hi all,
      I am a relatively new breeder (3 years) and while I have had no HCM so far, I would like to scan all my breeding cats. I am based in the UK and have looked into the FAB Cats list of registered cardiologists who provide HCM scans. I've called a handful of them and all have quoted prices between £300 and £400 per cat (not to mention the travel costs to get there). I cannot afford to do this every year as I am only a small breeder and already I make a loss breeding as we feed good food, show a lot and do a lot of other health testing.

      I am wondering if those of you based in the UK who have done proactive screening could provide details of the cardiologist used and the price you were charged? I really think that if scans were more affordable there would be a lot more breeders willing to check their cats regularly.

      Thanks in advance
      Mel