39344Re: [FH] Cardiostrength

  • Westgold
    May 3, 2010
      Well, there is much debate about kidney diets. When my Pooh (who did not have heart disease) developed kidney problems I did a lot of research on this topic. They gave me some of that kidney diet food, and he HATED it. You can also do your own research. I concluded from everything I read that the main reason kidney kitties get so weak and thin and look like hell is mainly because of the kidney diets they are being fed. Cats are obligate carnivores, and need lots of PROTEIN all the time. The kidney diets limit protein so that the kidneys don't have to work so hard filtering it. However, I concluded that I would much rather give Pooh his usual high-protein canned food diet (Friskies, Fancy Feast) to keep his strength up, so that he could have the strength to fight the kidney disease. I was right. He stayed strong and did not die from kidney disease. Please do your own research, but I believe that kitties should be fed their regular canned food -- with extra water added, very important! They need lots of extra water when they have kidney issues. I also had to give Pooh SubQ fluids, they also made him feel a lot better. (Not all kitties with kidney problems need them, ask your vet.) If his kidney issues had gotten really worse before he died of a brain tumor, I may have switched him to a kidney diet, but I believe they are usually necessary only in the very last end stages of kidney disease, when there is almost no kidney function left. I am not a vet, but there's plenty of research out there -- you can do your own and make your own conclusions.

      From: Plum
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 2:14 AM
      Subject: [FH] Cardiostrength

      Hello,

      My HCM kitty has done well for nearly 3 years since his diagnosis. Now, the vets are worried about kidney levels and has asked me to start using Rx kidney diets. I don't think the quality of those products is high, so I am still trying to figure out what to do.

      I ordered some Cardiostrength and was wondering how you get your cat to take thesupplement; the pills are too large. Do you sprinkle it on the food or perhaps dissolve it in water and use a syringe?

      Thanks for your help.