38485Re: Just diagnosed with cardiomyopathy

  • nala_zq
    Jan 3, 2010
      Dear Helen (and Toby),

      Welcome to the group, although I am sorry that you had to seek us out.
      I agree with Judi, seeing a cardiologist or an internal medicine vet with
      experience in cardiology is ideal.

      What Toby experienced does sound like a clot, they can be quite
      painful for some kitties. Aspirin is given quite commonly, although
      my veterinary cardiologist prefers Plavix to aspirin (though it is
      expensive).

      Although cardiomyopathy is probably the most common reason for a kitty
      to have a blood clot, I wonder what the diagnosis of cardiomyopathy was
      based on? Heart murmur combined with clot? X-ray showing enlarged
      heart? Echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart?) If the echo was
      performed, what kind of cardiomyopathy was diagnosed? There are
      three main forms, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), restrictive
      cardiomyopathy (RCM) and dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM). The
      treatments are somewhat varied between these forms.

      A cardiologist will perform an echocardiogram to determine what exactly
      might be going on with the heart. Sometimes they will also perform
      an EKG (electrocardiogram) to observe the heart rhythm. The good news
      is that there are some heart diseases that are treatable and manageable.
      The bad news is that kitties who have experienced one clot are thought
      to be at higher risk for a second clot.

      If Toby is still experiencing pain, then I would ask for a pain medicine,
      perhaps buprenex.

      It is concerning that his leg is cool, because this suggests that the clot
      is still effecting circulation to that limb. What will happen, is that
      over time, the body will resorb the clot.

      Please look through the old posts for Meredith and her kitty Monkey.
      I believe she signed most of her posts with "meredith and monkey"
      She nursed him through a clot, as have several other members here.

      I myself have NOT experienced a clot in my kitties, so I have don't have
      any specific advice.

      Best to you both!

      Nala with Camille and angel Cozette

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "sparklejunkey" <sparklejunkey@...> wrote:

      > My 4 1/2 year old Toby suddenly started limping on his front left leg and meowing in pain last night. The ER vet said it is cardiomyopathy and he threw a clot. I could give him baby asprin, but it would be more for me that Toby. I took him into our usual clinic today and they agree but encouraged the asprin. I have an appt for Tuesday with a cardiologist.
      > Tonight, Toby is still limping, the affect leg is still noticible cooler, and he has been sleeping all day, which is not normal. He is not meowing painfully anymore but it stll bothers him.
      > Any help, suggestions, info, websites would be helpful. I only have a phone to access the Internet so researching is quite difficult.
      > Also any ideas on how to cope with this would be good. My other kitty is 14 and diagnosed with renal failure less than 3 months ago. I am beyond devastated.
      > Thanks.
      > Helen

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic