      From: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com [mailto:feline-heart@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of dshale1
      Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 12:12 AM
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [FH] Re: Breeders Perspective

      When Pye was diagnosed with very mild HCM 2.5 years ago at age 9, we told
      the breeder (Pye is a British shorthair). She said she had only heard of one
      other case of HCM in the breeding lines she is involved with and it wasn't
      one of her own cats. She did say she knew there had been a case of HCM in on
      Pye's mother's side. To her knowledge none of Pye's littermates have been
      diagnosed with HCM to date, and I've always wondered why Pye had it and not
      her brother because I thought males were more susceptible.

      It seems to me that when a breed doesn't tend to develop HCM until they are
      much older, as seems to be the case with British shorthairs, by the time
      they are diagnosed they have been long retired from breeding, but have
      already passed on their genes. I am not sure it has been demonstrated that
      when cats develop HCM later in life it is due to a genetic propensity--is
      that true?
      -Susan

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "gaileder" <greder@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      > I am a New Zealand breeder of siamese and orientals. I have just found out
      that some of the cats I breed have developed HCM so I have had to terminate
      my breeding activities.
      > I have a question:
      > How many of you with pedigree cats which have developed this problem have
      told the breeder of your cat.
      > I have come to realise how important this is because if the breeders are
      not told there is a problem they will keep using the same lines.

      13:34:00
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic