38162Re:Breeders Perspective

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Dec 1, 2009
      Hi

      My foundation breeding boy had HCM, we collected him at 3 months old and he
      was diagnosed with a heart murmur at the vet check. I had him scanned and
      HCM was diagnosed. I was unfortunate enough that my foundation girl had the
      same diagnosis three weeks later. The breeder was devastated and we kept
      both kittens.

      I neutered the HCM kitties and they're much loved pets. I bought another
      foundation girl a year later who was scanned twice under the UK FAB scheme
      for HCM and heart disorders. I would not breed from any girl who was not
      scanned and all my kittens are scanned, but then I only have one small hobby
      litter a year so it's easier for me.

      My kittens are scanned too and so far all have been negative. It's £200 for
      a scan, but well worth it. The certificate is available online with the
      cats name and pedigree. My cats have had samples taken and hope to find the
      genetic cause of HCM in their breed and then I would test each and every cat
      without exception if there were a test available.