      From: sorose15 <sorose15@...>
      Subject: [FH] Hello Feline Heart Group !
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 9:18 PM

      I've joined because my little 6 pound Winky was born with a ventricular septal defect (hole between 2 chambers in her heart)and now has developed polycythemia ('thick' blood from too many red blood cells). Winky is 12 now. She was born with only one eye, but it doesn't work, so she is blind.

      Things are getting complicated with Winky. She needs a phlebotomy treatment (withdrawing some of her thick blood and replacing with 'crystalloids' (?) to make it closer to normal thinness) every 8 - 10 weeks now and the last time she stopped breathing during the procedure, so they had to intubate her. She keeps recovering (last time it took 10 days) and doing well afterwards. But - I wonder - are there other things I can be doing to help her - supplements, something ? I see alot of things mentioned in your messages that I know nothing about. Also - I apologize for bringing up this function - but she has a very difficult time with bowel movements. I give her lactulose twice a day(stool softener) but lately it hasn't been doing the trick. On Friday she was actually open-mouth breathing after a bowel movement. I was beside myself with fear. Has anyone had that kind of experience with their heart cat ? Is there anything I can do to make things better.

      I'm new to being in a Group. But I am thankful for any information anyone might share about the conditions that my precious Winky has. Take care.