      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Sue" <susan@...>
      > Supposedly, the Omega-3 fatty acids help keep cachexia in control.

      Actually, Omega 3 is sometimes recommended for cancer patients where
      inflammation is involved because Omega-3, (fish oil only for cats), works on
      inflammation that happens with diseases such as cancer, arthritis, and
      similar diseases. According to recent scientific studies that have crossed
      my desk, it is the *tumor* that will suffer cachexia and hopefully die, not
      the host, (human, cat or otherwise). I am not sure how this is being
      misinterpreted to mean increased appetite:
      "Supplementing mice with high levels of dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty
      acids (PUFAs) increases the n-3 PUFAs in cell membranes, increases the
      susceptibility of the cells for lipid peroxidation (LPO) and decreases the
      growth rate of mammary and other tumors."
      "Dogs and cats with cancer have significant alterations in carbohydrate,
      protein, and fat metabolism, which can result in cancer cachexia and
      subsequently can decrease quality of life, reduce response to therapy, and
      shorten survival time. Nutritional modulation may be beneficial in the
      treatment of cancer patients to reverse these metabolic alterations. There
      is evidence that foods relatively low in simple carbohydrates with moderate
      amounts of high-quality protein, fiber, and fat (especially fats of the
      omega-3 fatty acid series) are beneficial for pets with cancer"

      If there is fish oil in the commercial food being fed, that should be enough
      for this situation. If an owner does want to add Omega 3's then Vet
      Solutions has a pump that stays fresh and can be squirted into the corner of
      the mouth. The only reason I am speaking up here is because oils could
      possibly reduce appetite even further when a cat doesn't want to eat. At
      the same time, good *balanced* nutrition is definitely recommended, and
      sometimes one sees Omega 3's encouraged in that capacity, but there is no
      clear evidence and definitely none that it would improve appetite:
      "Supplementation of nutrients such as taurine, carnitine, coenzyme Q10, and
      omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids may have benefits in dogs or cats with
      cardiac disease through a number of different mechanisms. By addressing each
      of these areas maintaining optimal weight, avoiding nutritional deficiencies
      and excesses, and providing the benefits of nutritional pharmacology,
      optimal patient management can be achieved."

      According to scientific information online, Omega 3's might be added when
      general supplementation is addressed that would include cardiac support such
      as carnitine, taurine, and other crucial elements of heart health.

      I presume you do understand that studies are showing it may not help with
      tumor cachexia at all?:
      "With the current available evidence, a recommendation for the use of omega
      3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in pancreatic cancer cachexia is premature"

      The AVMA has done a telephone questionaire:
      http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.230.6.862 which supports
      the need for proper studies to be done, that are not yet coming to light. A
      lot of work is presently being done on cat nutrition and fat content of
      foods, showing that domestic altered cats are very similar to humans:

      If you do know of any good scientific information showing Omega 3's to work
      on appetite enhancement, please feel free to share and thereby correct what
      I am stating here, as I can be wrong at times, however, please keep in mind
      that I am addressing appetite stimulation, not the fact that Omega 3's are
      definitely good to supply for general heart disease treatment when the host
      is not suffering inappetance that could be increased with oily

      Pat and all the boys
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic