36398Re: [FH] has anyone been able to look at Tic's reports on her heart?

  • leahandhercats@yahoo.com
    May 8 7:46 AM
      Kim,

      I don't think that anyone answered your posting because they didn't get your reports. You can't attach things that go to the group. I did get your attachments and reviewed them. You would need to copy and paste or retype the info into an email for everyone to see.

      Although I can't report on the specific echo numbers the comments say all that is needed. The vet thinks that Tick has RCM (Restrictive Cardiomyopthay) with severe effusion in the abdomen. What does this mean? Tick has a serious heart condition and fluid is building up in his abdomen because of it. The vet put him on pretty standard meds and you should see some relief with the fluid in the abdomen while taking the lasix. If not, you may need to increase the lasix dosage (talk with your vet about this) or ask for another diuretic called, spirolactonone or spiro for short.

      The lab work looked good for the most part except for some slightly high kidney numbers. This is not uncommon, as kidney and heart problems go hand in hand many times. The kidney numbers are only slightly elevated but you will want to watch these as time goes by. Tick may also be a little dehydrated, as weird as that sounds with fluid building up in her abdomen. This can happen, all the fluid in one spot and not the rest of the body. Do not restrict Tick from drinking water. Her kidneys and body need it. There is some infection indicators with a high white blood count but that could be from the abdomen fluid - fluid where its not supposed to be. Other than that, the labs were pretty good.

      RCM is the most severe of cardiomyopthies. It can be managed for some time but there is no cure. Blood clots are a concern with RCM so you may want to ask about putting tick on Plavix or some other blood thinner. Many in the group use a natural blood thinner called nattokinase. Most vets know little about it.

      My Angel Alec had RCM, like Tick. After diagnosis, I was able to keep Alec comfortable for 10 more months. There have been people in the group that had kitties with RCM for years after diagnosis. Prognosis depends on the kitty's willpower and the owner's too. I hope this helps. If you have any questions whether they are heart related or not, ask them.

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec