3373Re: Feeling Down

  • flyerfan@blazenet.net
    Aug 3, 2001
      Well, since I am the 1 that took Dom off of all of the heart meds due
      to all of the problems in March, I sure will say that Linda knows me
      well. I was a nervous wreck for awhile just waiting for Dom to do
      something negative! We have now hit the 5 month mark and Dom is still
      going strong. He is still getting his hot spots and may need another
      nasty depo shot again. I see a small spot that I am treating with a
      topical as we try to avoid the steroids since they are bad for the
      heart too. My point in all of this is to back up Lindas comments. Of
      course the asthma may need the depo too soon so it is a wait and see.

      We were truly blessed with Doms picking us to be his family for
      whatever time that he has left. So far, he is still much better off
      of the meds than when he was when drugged. This is just this cats
      inability to metabolize meds into his system properly plus even a
      slight food change causes him problems--he is very sensitive. But in
      March, we decided that this is terminal and we would not traumatize
      him any longer. When he starts to slow down where he is looking
      tired, not eating etc., we will PTS as it is the thing to do for Dom.
      I want him with me forever, but not at Doms expense! I can really
      describe this right now because I had an 84 year old father that was
      in the hospital. He aspirated vomit and ended up with aspiration
      pneumonia and I found him in ICU on a ventilator when I got there
      after they called me. He spent 1 week in this condition and he just
      wasn't handling it. He was dependent on the ventilator for 100% of
      his oxygen and was fighting the vent so he needed to be totally
      sedated 24/7. After 7 days and no improvement, I was told there was
      probably permanent lung damage and he may never get off of the vent.
      He also needed 2 hip replacements, needed prostrate surgery, had a
      bad liver and now couldn't breathe. I asked to have him removed from
      the life support as I know this wasn't dads wishes. He never even
      wanted to go to a nursing home so I knew this would not be acceptable
      to him. If making Doms decision was tough, let's just say this 1 was
      tougher. He passed away on Wednesday morning but again I knew this
      was the right thing to do for him. Keeping him here was just going to
      be for me, not for him. I look at Dom in the same way as my dad and I
      will make the same decision quickly when the time comes for him. It
      doesn't make it easy but for me, I do know that what I do is the
      correct thing for the other person. I can live with that! Dom will
      probably slow down and sleep lots etc. and that will be fine and I
      will allow him to do this his own way. I will intervene when he shows
      any signs of suffering or he really lets me know that he has had
      enough. I feel sure that I will know by observing and talking to him.
      For Dom, not eating will be a sign as he loves his "foodies"! I had
      to PTS another cat, Snickers about 9 years ago and she told me when
      it was the time. For me the "Quality of Life" is the most important
      thing.

      Good luck Linda in coming to acceptance of this way of thinking.
      After fighting for so long it is hard because you want to do more
      and more, find new vets, new doctors, new meds etc. but sometimes
      just accepting the inevitable may be the kindest thing for our loved
      ones (both humans and pets). Just my opinion of course!!

      Jeanne, Dom, Bono & Louie

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic