3371RE: [feline-heart] Feeling Down

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
    Aug 2, 2001
      hi z., i'm sorry to herre that widgie is having difficulty...i'm sure you
      have done all the right things and you really can't look at the vet's
      absence as a negative as i really believe that everything happens for the
      best and has a reason behind it.....with lasix my vet has prescribed
      electrolyte salts....iw onder if the difficulty moving could be related to
      her being dehydreted and having muscular/joint pain....but i just don't
      know....have you tried the "neck skin" hydration test??? you know you pull
      up the skin on the back of their neck and if it pops right back in plaace
      they are well hydrated and if it kinda stays in the pulled up positin it
      means they are dehydrated...

      is their anyone else you can consult....and would you even want to if there
      was? i know that i feel very reluctant to consult just any available
      person....

      recently i had to really look into my heart about the pum and i thought of
      big dom and his mom jeanne and how she took him off all the meds and what a
      hard call it was for her and how she lives on pins and needles now every
      minute of the day....i took pum off the enalapril and it was a hard decision
      to make but i know now that i will not go any further with meds or
      additional conventional med treatments....bec there comes a time when i have
      to ask myself "who am i doing this for? him or me? is it really meeting my
      need for him, to continue to have him around? or is it really what is best
      for him? and his quality of life? " somebody also said here recently "our
      babies are ok with death...it's us who aren't" and those words really
      touched me....(sorry for being so unoriginal, i just sorta pick up these
      tidbits that impact me but they are really someone else's sthoughts and
      actions)....

      and now i just got back from california from visiting my son/grandson and
      during that time i thought, gee, i just feel so old and tired compared to
      them(the son and daughter in law) and of course next to the grandson, i'm
      downnright decrepit and then i thought of my mom in houston who has had a
      really difficult time recently and is saying she wants to die and doesn't
      understand why she has sto go on living in her current condition (she has
      pretty bad arthritis and takeds pain meds but as we know the pain is still
      really there and drs seem to have an aversion to prescribing the real pain
      remedies due to fear of lawsuits, etc. it's just terrible) and then there i
      saw the cycle of life and how it goes around and how we try so hard to
      interject our own emotions, knowledge born of need, either emotional or
      physicsal and that in the end there is only so much that we can really do
      bec nature will still take its course.....we fool ourselves into thinking
      that we have control and we think sometimes that we do but in fact, in
      reality, we are only delaying the inevitable....

      and then i thought that it is important to for me to try to take a step
      forward to work on my ability to embrace that inevitability and rejoice in
      the cycle of life and rejoice in the happy moments that i have here and now
      with those that are important to me and whom i love and care for and try to
      find the strength to support them as much as they need in their time of need
      and pray that i can find that strength and the courage to make the right
      decision based on their needs and not mine.....i'm going to have to work on
      it alot...i'm basicaslly selfish and want the pum, my mom, my loved ones,
      around me forever....i will have to pray alot and muster up every ounce of
      strength....bec it's not easy....am i making any sense....

      i know that you have done everything you can for your baby and i think that
      holding her and loving her and letting her know that you care for her is the
      most important thing you can do...and you are doing it....you are making her
      feel loved...she is eating and that is very important and maybe she's tired
      and just wants to rest and know that you are there with her is enough for
      her....i can only say that i think i would try to find someone to get an
      opinion without traumatizing her and then look into your heart and try to
      answer the question "what would widgie want me to do for her" ........

      widgie has been a part of my llife for sometime now and i can feel so much
      sympathy for her and it hurts me too.....i don't know if i have hellped any
      but i hope that i have.....i'll light a special candle for you and widgie
      tonite and we'll say some special prayers for her to recover and for her
      mommy too.

      linda and the boys