32775Re: what have you been feeding your cats?

  • Carol
    Apr 4, 2008
      hi Summer,

      I feed Snowball basically whatever she'll eat at this point. She's so
      nauseated all the time, that any food that I can get into her I just
      let her have it.

      Here are a couple of links with food charts that have the phosphorus
      levels and the one from the katkarma page has sodium levels. Binky's
      page has a link to two charts, the old one and a new one they've put
      together.

      katkarma page:
      http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

      Binky's page:
      http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html

      Hang in there with Lucy. Hopefully now that she's on the right meds,
      she'll begin to respond and feel better. I can't believe the pharmacy
      made such a horrible mistake! I would talk to your vet about maybe
      increasing her Furosemide just for a little bit, as long as she
      doesn't have elevated kidney values. It should be okay to increase the
      Furosemide for a day or two to get her breathing better.

      Are you giving her any kind of supplements yet? You might want to give
      her CoQ10 and DMG (dimethylglycine). Both those supplements are things
      that can help strengthen the heart. We give Snowball 30mg CoQ10 twice
      a day and the DMG comes in 175mg tablets that we cut in half and give
      her half twice a day. They're light and air sensitive, so we cut them
      up and put the other half in the little foil it comes in and seal it
      and keep it in the fridge till we use the other half. Here's some info
      on DMG.
      http://www.accentonpethealthcare.com/immunoliq.html
      DMG helps with "circulation and cardiovascular fucntion. DMG
      enhances oxygen delivery to the heart and improves several
      characteristics of the blood, including cholesterol and triglyceride
      levels maintained within normal ranges."

      Taurine and L-carnitine are also good for helping keep the heart
      strong and healthy. I give Snowball about 200mg of taurine a day. I
      haven't started L-carnitine yet, so I'm not sure what dose that would
      be, but I'm sure someone else can help there.

      Hang in there. You and Lucy are in our prayers.

      hugs,
      Carol and Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball and Chelsea
      (angels Fritzy Sweetie Ducky Bouncer Muffy and Chris)

      "I know you're there...a breatha away's not far to where you are."
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic