31652Re: [FH] Two 6 year old brother cats - HCM - supplements, food, success stories please!

  • savionna@aol.com
    Dec 7, 2007
      Hi (sorry I don't know your name),

      In a message dated 12/1/07 1:55:43 AM, tokates@... writes:

      > Two of my 6 year old, male cats have just been diagnosed with HCM.
      Very sorry to hear that.

      > it looks like all the prognosis reports are 2-4 year survival rate or
      > an average of 700+ days.
      Predicting longevity is a very tricky thing. What's important is to do the
      best we can every day to help the cats fulfill their lives.

      > Also if anyone has a suggestion for proper food (they also
      > have struvite crystals from time to time)
      Are they eating dry food? It's the leading contributing factor to struvite,
      which form in alkaline, concentrated urine...which results from the plant
      matter and 10% moisture in dry. Cats have evolved to eat a moisture-rich (60-80%),
      meat-based diet, which keeps the urine naturally acidic (6.0-6.5 is desirable
      for cats) and in the right concentration.

      All cats, with very few exceptions, need the same food: a high-quality,
      well-balanced, low-carbohydrate (preferrably grainfree), moisture-rich, meat-based
      diet, which we can provide with higher-quality canned products, premade raw,
      whole prey, or homemade fresh food.

      Some relatively reliable articles about feline nutrition incl:

      1. http://home.earthlink.net/~jacm2/id1.html
      2. www.catinfo.org
      3. www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
      4. http://www.damnynke.com/diabetes_&_obesity.htm
      5. www.advancepetfood.com.au/nutrition
      6. ww.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?siteid=0&gid=74&ref=2066&subref=AN

      Some canned brands that do a good job meeting a cat's nutritional
      requirements incl: Wellness, www.oldmotherhubbard.com; Nature's Variety,
      www.naturesvariety.com; By Nature Organics, www.bynaturepetfoods.com; PetGuard,
      www.petguard.com; Felidae, www.canidae.com; and Eagle Pack, www.eaglepack.com. The first 3
      have grainfree products...and Nature's Variety has premade balanced raw. If
      you're interested in pursuing fresh food further, I can provide links for that,
      too. // Rosemary

      Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest