26448Re: [FH] Aspirin therapy

  • Leah Ferron
    Jan 4, 2007
      Sara,

      I think the dosage that Toby was on (40mg/day) before was too much. I believe the usual recommended dosage is 1/2 baby aspirin (40 mg) every 2-3 days. I, personally, don't like aspirin therapy because of all I have read about it. First and foremost to me is the fact that aspirin is toxic to cats. Cats are unable to process the aspirin as humans do so it stays in their system longer. That is why the recommended dosage is every 2-3 days so that it doesn't build up to a toxic level. Even given the toxic factor, it is very hard on many cats stomach and causes stomach upset and at times bloody vomit. Besides all this, there is no reason to believe that it even helps prevent clot formation in cats. At least I haven't seen any research on it.

      BUT, this is just my opinion on aspirin. There are lots of people that use it for their heart kitties. My vets didn't recommend aspirin, or anything for that matter. That is why I used Nattokinase for Angel Alec who had RCM and was at a great risk for clots. He never got a clot. Who is to say why he didn't but I believe the Natto worked. There are also drugs like Plavix and Lovenox (sp?) for clot prevention too that are better than aspirin.

      As far as when to use something for clot prevention just depends. Most people rely on their vets for help deciding on this and it seems the vets are all over the board as to when they recommend something. I'm sure that doesn't help you. Sometimes you have to do what you think is best for your kitty.

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec