26413Re: [FH] I don't want to be here

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Dec 31, 2006
      Amy,

      Hello and welcome to the group.

      Atenolol will usually help but as someone said, it's a drug that seems to
      cause more reactions than most - although it's really not many. My girl was
      on it for about 1-1/2 years and then developed an arrhythmia from atenolol
      so we discontinued it. She was already on an ace-inhibitor (enalapril) and
      that is doing fine by itself.

      Don't worry about a low-sodium diet. If Luke is on a good-quality canned
      diet, then that will go a long way to helping his disease.

      Supplements like CoQ10 and l-carnitine are also very helpful.

      There is no typical prognosis. When people ask me about that, I just say
      that my crystal ball is broken. It truly is a guess based on the exposure
      of your vet to other cats with heart disease coupled with research that he's
      read. But there are always exceptions and cats are truly unique in how they
      react to things. I get the impression from the cardiologist that my girl
      should be long-gone but she's just fine.

      There are a lot of experienced people here in the group and I know that
      Pepper would not still be here if it weren't for the advice of these people.
      She already had "moderate" HCM when she was diagnosed in 11/04 and it's
      gotten much worse over time. With supplements and good food, it makes a
      huge difference.

      Sue