2603FW: Widgie's much better

  • Sandler, Zellene E.
    Jun 11, 2001
      Thank you so much for the outpouring of support...it means so much. I have
      decided to get a PC for my home within the next few weeks. I was going to do
      it anyway when I retired, but I might as well do it now!

      Widgie has been improving each day. Now she is back to her regular raw and
      premium canned food diet. I started the COQ 10 yesterday. She is on Lasix
      and they will be giving her Atenolol starting this week. I'm doing my
      research and trying to work out a program of supps, etc. I liked what Marty
      Goldstein said in The Nature of Animal Healing about heart disease...that he
      was glad to have the allo drugs because he felt in this case you may need
      them. But he also uses herbs and homeopathics for added support. That
      pretty much follows my own thinking.

      Widgie hadn't left the bed following Thursday's crisis. I even had the kitty
      litter up there for her. Then last night she came into the den and watched
      TV with me. This morning she was purring when I petted her, then she saw
      something...I think a moth, and ran across the bed, then jumped down. That
      was the most energy I've seen in a long time! She ate her raw foodies and
      some pumpkin since she hasn't gone yet since the crisis. I bought a bag of
      the new Eagle Holistic kibbles as a bribe to get her to eat. She went crazy
      for them. So I give it as a treat after her pill.

      I still can't understand how this happened relatively suddenly. She had a
      cardiac ultrasound only SIX weeks ago when I got a second opinion of her
      coughing. The said her heart had minor changes consistent with a cat her
      age. There was a very small amount of fluid. The vet mentioned it but didn't
      think it worthy of treatment since her previous ultrasounds, before and
      following her I131 treatment in 1999, were pretty much the same. Yes, I'm
      sure the hyperthyroid had some effect. Her current T4 is 1.9. But I think
      the stress of the last week had something to do with it worsening. When I
      think of how long I've been saying to the vet, she's tired, she's coughing,
      she's just not herself...this could all have been due to her heart. Thank
      God we found out before she had a massive stroke or something.

      Thanks again for all your good energies and advice...I'm sure Widgie is
      benefiting from it!

      ps. I have a human friend with severe asthma who is on Atenolol with no
      problem. He said it is one of the older but safest beta blockers. I'll
      mention this to the vet, since Widgie has asthma.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic