23406Re: [FH] update on Baby, need advise

  • Leah Ferron
    Apr 3, 2006

      I have been reading the Yahoo-CRF boards for many years now and I have read over and over about potassium. Being below normal is not good, especially because you will start getting muscle wasting. Alec already had it, noticably, for years. It started before I knew about his kidneys so all I can do now is try to prevent more. When the potassium numbers in the blood are below normal than the cellular level is even lower in the muscles. That is where it is even more important.

      I am not trying to talk you into anything but I would do more research on it, if I were you. You don't want to get too much potassium, but a low dose for Baby now, wouldn't do that. A low dose now could only help Baby. My vet didn't recommend it for Alec either, I had to take the initiative. I have had to do that a lot with Alec's care in RCM and CRF. And he has benefited from it.

      Leah and her cats

      vickie <vickiejunger@...> wrote:

      The cardio dr called this afternoon, she doesn't think he needs potassium? One of his other vets said he really doesn't need any yet, all though she
      said I could give have of the 99mg that I have, but seemed she rather me not give it to him yet. They both seem to think that being .1 below is still
      ok. It would be harder on his heart if he gets to high, seems in his case a bit low is better then risking him getting to high.

      This month will be a year he was Dx. I hope it's not coming to an end for him. I've been trying to watch him today, he hasn't bothered me much
      for a fresh can of food, and I haven't seen him drink a lot of water. I don't know then I open a can of food and he eat a good amt of it, groomed
      himself ate some more and finale had some water. The other thing is I tested his BG 3x yesterday, and his #'s were pretty good, so I'm wondering
      on the other hand could he be eating and drinking a bit less cause he has good BG #'s? or his kidneys. The cardio vet said that I don't need to
      take him in for another blood test for 3 mo, unless I feel that something is wrong. She wants him to stay on his meds. She said his kidney are
      handling it ok, even w/the #'s up. At least that is how I took it. Last time I had a diabetic cat and he started to have good reading, his life was
      coming to an end. I hope that isn't the same with Baby.

      In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
      Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!