      From: Deena
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 3:45 AM
      Subject: [FH] Re: Weight loss

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "g minnier" <paragem@h...>
      My Bud is 16 lbs and the vet says that is TOO MUCH - in fact, he is
      what she calls "pre-diabetic".

      The easiest way I have found to lose weight in a cat is:
      1. Remove all carbs from diet. Cats need MEAT
      2. Feed small frequent meals
      This is the way cats are biologically designed to eat and it will
      also help his elevated sugar level.

      Wellness and Nature's Variety make canned cat food with no grains.
      Adding real meat is also helpful: either raw or lightly cooked.
      Kibble is THE biggest contributor to obesity and diabetes in my
      eyes. There are no carb free kibbles as it's physically impossible
      to form kibble without carbs to hold it together. So if you feed
      kibble, go lightly.

      Clara was a kibble addict when I adopted her and could have been
      described as a football with a tail. A meat-only diet had her
      trimmed down in no time. It was painless for both of us.
      This summer, I left her with my outlaws while on vacation. I
      returned to a *basketball* with a tail who literally doubled in size
      in 10 days. I left her food, but they chose to feed her kibble. A
      month later, she was once again a lean, mean, fighting machine, once
      I replaced her candy with a species appropriate diet.

      I have not seen prescription diets work for weight loss. Actually,
      I feel they perpetuate the problem. They are full of fiber and will
      add greatly to deposits in your litter box. You are much better off
      with a species appropriate diet, to reduce intake, and increase
      frequency of meals. This boosts metabolism, stabilizes blood sugar,
      and maximizes the immune system so Bud can better handle the other
      things that are going on.

      Good Luck,

      a.. Visit your group "feline-heart" on the web.