20717Re: coughing

  • cayvb
    Sep 1, 2005
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Bab006@a... wrote:
      > I know coughing is not a good sign, but how much coughing is too
      much.

      Dear Bridget, I panicked too when my cat started coughing. My
      McGovern was just diagnosed with asthma yesterday. I thought his
      coughing was related to his HCM but the vet said cats won't cough
      from heart related issues. So I would be cautious in increasing the
      Lasix.
      Anyone willing to comment?
      It just seems to make sense that coughing would be a symptom of heart
      failure, attack, etc. She said that's true for humans and dogs but
      not cats.
      He was given an injection of Dexamethasone and blood drawn to rule
      out heartworm.
      The cardiologist was called to advise about combining Atenelol with
      oral Prednisone. Atenolol is not normally given to asthmatics but he
      said yes because the HCM takes priority.
      I also filled a prescription for FloventHFA 220 mcg, a corticosteroid
      inhaler. I've given him 2 doses so far. That's a trip... giving a cat
      an inhalant! His coughing has stopped (nothing since 5AM, it is now 5
      PM)but his breathing is still a little labored but not open mouthed.
      His respiratory rate has stayed at a steady 28-30 breaths per
      minute... sometimes shallow but seems to have improved. He'll take a
      deep breath/sigh every once in a while so I know he can inhale more
      deeply than his regular respiration.
      The closest oxygen cage if he needs it is 30 minutes away. It's a
      frightening thought that I know others here have gone through.
      This email is in response to a Feline Heart HCM refering to coughing
      but I'm also crossposting to PetVetCafe for any additional info on
      HCM and asthma.
      Thank you, Cathy, McGovern (HCM), Number One
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic