20535Re: [FH] Enalapril

  • Susan
    Aug 9, 2005
      Caroline,

      Enalapril is an ACE-Inhibitor that modulates the
      neurohormonal response to a heart that is not working
      optimally. It is the lomg term deleterious effects of
      that neurohormonal response that makes heart disease
      progressive.

      ACE-I and beta-blockers such as atenolol work on two
      different types of neurohormonal response. BB blocks
      the effects of the SNS ie. Sympathetic Nervous System
      (flight or fight) and ACE-I inhibits the activation of
      the RAAS (renin angiotensin aldosterone system)

      Lots of cats on this list are on enalapril and or
      atenolol.

      Susan

      --- Caroline Sudbay <seasuds@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > My ocicat Boca just had a check-up today after
      > starting atenolol 2 weeks ago. Her heart rate is
      > down
      > and murmur is better.
      >
      > They suggested putting her on enalapril in addition
      > continuing with the atenolol. Was just wondering
      > about pros/cons of enalapril (kidney concerns?) and
      > if
      > maybe I should forgo this medicine and just stick
      > with
      > the atenolol.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Caroline and Boca