18832Re: [FH] Thank You from Donna and Kali

  • Susan
    Feb 27, 2005
      --- lclarizia@... wrote:

      > Standard Time,
      > ajakali@... writes:
      > > I'm going to ask my vet about vitamin E, fish oil,
      > CoQ10 and
      > > nattokinase. And if he doesn't support this type
      > of adjunct
      > > treatment, well, time for a new vet.
      > There you go :) It's not so much not supporting a
      > non-allopathic treatment
      > that's bad, it's not supporting it for no good
      > reason. If your vet can't say
      > why s/he doesn't recommend something, i.e. "there's
      > no evidence that such and
      > such helps" as opposed to, "such and such may
      > interact with medicine X that
      > Kali is taking" or "such and such is known to be
      > toxic to the kidneys" or even
      > "several cats I've treated haven't done well with
      > such and such" ... well, then
      > it may be time for a new vet. If your vet does
      > object to any of it, then s/he
      > should be able to clearly state why.

      Another thing to consider and I hope everyone on this
      group takes the time to read Lisa Freeman's article in
      the links section on Nutritional Modulation of Cardiac
      Disease is that the nutraceuticals may be helping
      because they address cachexia, which is the higher
      metabolism that makes sick animals suddenly skinny.

      nutritional Modulation of Cardiac Disease:

      Unfortunately this is the shorter version of an
      article that used to be on WalthamUSA. Perhaps Lisa
      can access or find the longer one.

      My point is that with heart disease there can be
      multiple things affecting the animal. Lisa Freeman
      believes that perhaps aggressively treating cardiac
      cachexia may have an effect on mortality and fish oils
      and other nutrients such as branch chain amino acids
      probably play a role. These nutrients that support the
      critically ill animal's body are included in Hill's
      A/D, the prescription food specifically for really
      sick cats and dogs.

      Though there is no evidence to support this approach I
      have decided I would want to try to get ahead of
      cachexia and transition my cat to A/D before he is
      anorectic and catabolizing lean muscle mass. Food
      aversion is a big factor in felines and some cats may
      get turned off A/D by being in the hospital and then
      associating A/D with going to the vet. So if my cat
      first gets A/D before getting it during
      hospitalization I may be able to avoid that.

      With the nutraceuticals Lisa Freeman (Freeman LM) is
      definitely a vet to watch IMHO.

      Also last year cardiologist Clarke Atkins (Atkins CE)
      was doing lectures on nutraceuticals at feline and
      cardiology seminars.

      Lisa Freeman's bio:

      Do you Yahoo!?