17860New member intro

  • Sue B
    Dec 1, 2004

      I've joined the group because my little girl Pepper was just diagnosed with heart disease. Pepper is an 11-year old Maine Coon cat (brown tabby). She is just getting over her second bout of pneumonia since June. Her first episode was 6/16 and her last one was 11/19. The clinic decided to do a sonogram on her (11/22) and found that she has a slightly enlarged left ventricle.

      She was not responding well to the antibiotics so the vet put her on 10mg of Furosemide (Lasix generic) twice daily. She started this past Monday evening and is really improving daily.

      Her lungs still sound wet so we have a ways to go.

      I've ordered a baby scale so I can monitor her weight and fluid retention.

      I'm not sure what to expect since I've never had an animal with a heart condition or even known any person with one. I do have one question - do I need to monitor her electrolyte levels? I would think so. If so, can anyone give me their experience or suggestions?

      Thanks so much!
      Sue & Pepper

      p.s. If anyone wants to see her photo, she's posted on my web site - http://www.magdrl-nj.com/photos03.html