17226Re: More on Sasquatch -- + APPETITE

  • won1kiss
    Sep 1, 2004
      Yes, I would agree that it's quality not quanity of life that counts,
      and most veterinarians would agree with this. Most veterinarians
      will also counsel you, if you ask, about the appropriateness of
      euthanasia, when it may be the right time, when you may be blinded by
      pre-death grief and are making decisions more for yourself than for
      your kitty. If a veterinarian advised me outright to euthanize my
      cat, I would run the other way and find a second opinion! With my HCM-
      CHF cat, his veterinarina has been upfront from the get-go, advising
      that he could die any moment, he could live 6 months, that short of a
      heart translplant there is nothing to "cure" his problem, and that
      ultimately the decision is ours whether to euthanize today, tomorrow,
      or never. We have chosen 'never', unless or until he seems to be

      I think a very good guage is knowing whether or not your cat is
      happy. Certainly not eating is a crucial sign, and getting your cat
      to eat is #1 priority, IMHO. No heart medications are going to help
      if he does not eat, becomes emaciated, develops hepatic lipidosis,
      etc. So getting nurishment into him so he can keep going and keep
      somewhat healthy in spite of his heart is critical.

      I was going to emphasize that many cats do well on Enalapril - and on
      Atenolol - but as with humans, each kitty is a different individual,
      reacting differently to life and to drugs, so one must tailor-make
      medications that fit the cat. It's not a "one size fits all"
      situation. I encourage you to talk to the doc about alternative meds.

      The appetite stimulant often prescribed is called Cyproheptadine. It
      is actually an antihistamine but acts as an appetite stimulant in
      cats. You might also want to try an over-the-counter product
      available at pet stores called Nutri-Cal. It's in a tube and similar
      in consistency to the hairball formulas. It is a high-calorie
      supplement that can really pack on the pounds and stimulate
      appetite. Not all cats will gladly lick it off a plate, however, and
      putting it on the paw always meant it would soon be all over the
      room - on the floor, on the cabinets, on the cat - everywhere but in
      the cat's stomach, :/, so I always force-fed it via needle-less

      There are many vitamin supplements available for nutritional support.
      Vitamin B Complex is a very good supplement, safe for cats, and
      available in chewables, tablets, paste, liquids and injectables.
      Perhaps one or two injections of B Complex would help him in the
      immediate future. Consult your veterinarian.

      As always, especially with a heart kitty, I would recommend asking
      your veterinarian before adding anything on your own (e.g. Nutri-Cal,
      aspirin, CoQ-10, any other supplements). Heart patients are special
      and can do well when followed by a *competent* veterinarian who is
      CURRENT on cardiac diagnoses and treatment. If yours has not treated
      many cardiac cases (just ask!) then you might want to call around and
      find one who has. There is a LOT to know, and I believe that general
      veterinarians are sometimes not up on everything cardiac. If you do
      not have a Veterinary Cardiologist available, I highly recommend a
      Boarded Veterinary Internist.

      Best wishes,

      > I truly empathize with your struggle. Many of us have had to face
      > similar situation and only you can decide what is best for both
      > yourself and Sasquatch. It's a tough decision.
      > When Mr Pepe got sick, I promised him to always concentrate on
      > quality of life rather than quantity.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic