16866Re: New member: My cat was diagnosed yesterday with HCD

  • brinkett
    Jul 1, 2004
      Hi,

      I'm sorry to hear about Nigel. I don't know how long he's been on
      Lasix - it takes Lasix a few days to clear the fluid, and then
      hopefully he'll breathe easier.

      About his respiration rate last night - 60-64 breaths per minute is
      high, not borderline. A "wait and see" strategy is risky when it
      comes to a very high respiration rate in a cat with heart disease.
      A good rule of thumb is that once the respiration rate goes above 30
      breaths per minute AT REST, the vet should be called, so you did
      good calling the vet this morning. It's tough in the beginning to
      know when to call, especially when they do have fluid and so a
      higher respiration rate might be expected (though not as high as 60-
      64), but once you've been managing Nigel for a while and have a
      better feel for what's normal for him, you'll know when to phone and
      when it's ok to wait and see. At this stage when it's new, I'd err
      on the side of caution.

      As far as worrying about Nigel when you're at work (and at home),
      everybody has gone through this, especially right after diagnosis.
      Eventually you'll come to terms with it but it's natural to be super
      worried at this point. I know it took me a couple of months to calm
      down and not worry when I was at work. Having said that won't make
      it easier for you right now, but do know that eventually you'll be
      able to get through a work day without thinking about him constantly.

      One more point - you might want to read the group's FAQ. It's in
      the Links section at the group's site. Anyway, you've found a great
      group and we'll all be following Nigel's story now.

      (another) Sarah.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <burke43@i...> wrote:
      > I am REALLY glad I found this group. My 8 1/2 year cat Nigel got
      an
      > ultrasound of his heart yesterday and was diagnosed with
      Obstructive
      > Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. He also has asthma. I found out
      about
      > his heart disease because he was having trouble breathing. After
      > rushing him to the vet, I found out he had fuild in his lungs.
      >
      > He is on Salix, diltiazem, and aspirin. After I got him home from
      > the vet last night, he was breathing rapidly. I didn't want to
      take
      > him back to emergency if it wasn't necessary as I knew it would
      > stress him out even more, and I have already spent $1,200 in 10
      > days.
      >
      > So, I stayed up all night and measured his breaths per minute. He
      > was borderline to go back to the ER at 10 PM (60 to 64 breaths per
      > minute). At 3:45 AM, he was down to 48 bpm, and at 6:35 AM, he
      had
      > gotten down to about 36 to 40 bpm (while sleeping). After talking
      > to the vet this morning, we decided he is okay for now.
      >
      > This is so stressful!!!! After getting no sleep and worrying
      about
      > my best little buddy, I am a totel wreck. This morning, if anyone
      > asked me how I was doing, I started crying. At lunch, I went home
      > and checked on Nigel and he seemed okay. His BPM rate is a little
      > high due to his heart disease. I am crossing my fingers and toes
      > that the heart medication allows him more oxygen so that he can
      > breathe easier.
      >
      > Thank you SO MUCH for listening to me.
      >
      > Sarah
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic