  • amy brightfield
    Jun 4, 2004
      Hello everyone:

      My little black and tan tabby, moomoo, just passed
      away this past Sunday from severe heart disease. She
      was just eight years old. I wanted to tell you her
      story in hopes that you all may glean some new
      information about heart disease.
      She was diagnosed with arrhythmic right ventricular
      cardiomyopathy. What basically happened was that she
      had what the cardiologist thinks was a heart attack
      last Monday night. This caused an arrhythmia. She
      never had any problems before this; I took her to a
      yearly check-up and the vet never detected anything
      abnormal. (Although now I tend to think maybe she
      missed something?)

      She survived the h. attack on Monday night. THey did
      bloodwork on her Tues. and an echocardiogram on
      Wednesday which reported right and left ventricle
      dilation; some thickening on the left wall and the
      arrhythmia. That vet sent Moomoo home with diltiazem
      (a calcium channel blocker) and told me she could live
      up to five years.

      I wasn't keen on how this vet center had treated her,
      so I took her to another cardiologist on Thursday who
      did another EKG and an echo. She came in and told me
      that Moomoo might only have days to live. I was in
      total shock. Here I had just come from the other vet
      who told me it might be years and that she didn't have
      to come back for another echo for six months! But this
      new cardiologist was definitely much smarter.
      She explained to me that because Moomoo had so much
      wrong with her heart; the dilation of the ventricles,
      the thickening of the wall and the arrhythmia --- that
      her condition was very hard to treat. Because of the
      arrhythmia, she was at high risk for sudden cardiac
      death and/or throwing a clot at any time. That's why
      her prognosis was so poor.
      But she did send Moomoo home with medicine --
      Enapapril (Sp?) and also instructed me to give her 81
      mg of aspirin every three days. She said she hoped
      that Moomoo would recover from the heart attack and
      that the medicine would help improve her heart's
      We gave her the aspirin and heart medicine thursday
      night and she ate a very small amount. That was the
      last time she really ate anything. I called the
      cardiologist on Sat morning and she prescribed an
      appetite stimulant, but told me that if Moomoo didn't
      start eating by Sunday am that we should put a feeding
      tube in because cats can develop liver disease if they
      don't eat for just two-three days.
      Moomoo was extremely lethargic and not herself at all;
      she hadn't meowed since the Monday night episode when
      she was meowing in pain.

      We ended up putting the feeding tube in sunday am,
      took her home and gave her two feedings. This just
      broke our hearts to see her with the collar she had to
      wear to make sure she didn't rip the tube out. But I
      felt like if we were going to give her every chance to
      live, we had to try the feeding tube or else another
      fatal problem --- the liver disease -- would develop.
      Sunday night she had an episode of open-mouth
      breathing and we rushed her to the emergency room
      where she went into cardiac arrest.
      I spoke to the cardiologist this week and she said she
      thinks that Moomoo's heart just couldn't recover from
      the heart attack last Monday as she had hoped it might
      and it eventually spiraled into a fatal arrhythmia
      which caused the cardiac arrest.

      From everything I've read, it doesn't seem like
      catching this condition early would have improved her
      prognosis much. But she didn't just have the HCM --
      she had all of these other things going on.

      Has anyone else heard of this? Could the thickening of
      the walls lead to a heart attack? Is a murmur often
      NOT detected until heart disease has already

      Thank you for reading moomoo's story. We miss her
      dearly. She was a sweet, affectionate cat.