16393Re: [FH] Question - coping

  • Marjorie Blaine
    May 2, 2004
      We have been very blessed because we've had the most wonderful cat sitter
      for the last 6 years. She comes and lives in our homes and the cats know
      and love her and we trust her implicitly. Since Max was diagnosed w/HCM, we
      haven't ventured too far--we did have to go from AZ to TX in Dec because my
      father unexpectedly passed away. I had to stay two weeks but my husband
      just came for about 5 days. We also have a 20 year old cat who is very
      healthy (knock on wood)....but she's 20 so.... We had planned to leave today
      for a week in Hawaii for our 20th wedding anniversary because everyone is
      doing well (again, knock on wood). However, our pet sitter had a friend
      (with no remaining family) become quite ill and is in ICU in Phoenix (we
      live in Tucson). So our pet sitter was going to go back and forth every
      day--still spending the nights here. We were very uncomfortable with being
      so far away and with her having to deal with the stress of her friend's
      illness so we cancelled our trip. It's much more important to us that
      SOMEONE who knows Max is here or around most of the time and we felt it was
      too much burden for her to worry about her friend and our cats. She is
      crushed that we cancelled but we are not--my husband said "I could not have
      a good time in HI worrying about Max every minute".....before I even could
      say it.

      Will we try to go again? Well, our next time off is end of August. If all
      his tests remain good during the summer and he's doing well, we'll try. But
      everything will have to be just perfect or we'll stay home. We figure we're
      happiest here anyway :)))

      Sitka,Teddi,Gus,and Max